Saturday, October 25, 2008


As we sat down to dinner, me gazing across the table to the pictures of Jim's colon on the front of the refrigerator, I couldn't help but think, my how times have changed!  Used to be kids report cards on fridge and now it is Jim's.  But enough bragging about Jim's healthy colon, I'm going to take the time to brag about our finds from the farmer's market.  

It was a cold, rainy morning and justified by the fact that I've been sick for a few days, I took my time getting up and getting the day started before we drove our car to the farmer's market.  Quite a change from last week when all the stalls were busy, just as if it were late summer - this week, less than half the farmers were there.  Fortunately our friends from Crane Dance Farms were there and with the chilly weather, I had a hankering to make some soup.  I picked up a couple of soup bones from them.  Noticing that there was still plenty of meat on the bones, I was eager to see what I could do with them. 

After a batch of errands, we came home and put those soup bones in the crock pot with just a little water and I kinda forgot about them.  Jim went for a bike ride while I stayed home and nursed my cold with my crochet project and a good movie.  About halfway thru the movie, I remembered the soup bones and realized I'd better do something to turn it into something more than meat and bones.  I went out in the backyard and picked some parsley and green onions, grabbed some rosemary drying in the kitchen, then sliced some carrots, potatoes, parsnips and oven roasted tomatoes into the crock pot.  Went back to my movie and crocheting and by the time Jim came home a couple hours later, we had a yummy, hot beef soup dinner.  We're looking forward to leftovers in the next few days.  Those gals at Crane Dance come thru once again with wonderful meat for our dinner table!

So, speaking of my crochet project, here is where I am as of a few minutes ago.  I had to stand on the toy box to get this picture and I put my flip flops in there so you can get an idea of the size.  It is a fun project.  


4 comments:

nan said...

Yum, you have always been a wonderful cook Shawn. And the crochet is so beautiful! Did the flip flops come from the farmers market? Where did you find the black background for the photo? Hope you feel better soon. Quite a bit of sickness these days. Glad to hear the colon in healthy! Must be all that good homemade cookin'!

Shawn said...

The background is actually purple - it is the tv room carpet! I feel better today than I have in 3 days - I think it was the good night's sleep!

JimR said...

Sometimes you just have to toot your own horn when it comes to your colon!!

I love watching Shawn crochet. It's amazing how all those little knots get organized and put into something so beautiful. From her heart to her hands...

Sally said...

Yea for a healthy colon! That crochet project is amazing. Beautiful work. You are so talented. We had homemade chicken soup for dinner tonight, and BLTs on Cuban bread, very tasty.