Saturday, September 30, 2006

Hey! Nee how!

The other night we went on a Pearl River dinner cruise. The dinner was very good – a traditional Chinese buffet. Some of the food was great and some was surprising and some I tried but didn’t like. That is the way many of the meals are. The stuff that is good, is very, very good. (Kind of like “the girl with the curl in the middle of her forehead.”)

I think this hotel has a few more tv options than the place we stayed last year. Last year, our hotel had only 3 or 4 stations that had English-speaking programs. I seem to stumble on more stuff that I can understand on tv here. I said in my last posting that I was watching Chinese opera. I’m actually not sure if it was Chinese opera or acrobats – there seemed to be some of both. Very cool to watch the acrobats in particular. Some of it looks like break-dancing and lots of cool gymnastics too. Tonight I’m watching that Tom Hanks movie about the guy who is stuck in the airport. Sometimes it feels good to watch the Chinese stuff and sometimes it feels good to hear English.

Talking about break-dancing. On Friday, one of our Chinese team members was wearing a shirt that said “Break Dance” on it. We teased her about it but she didn’t know what break dancing is. I ought to try to find a video online and show her. Only thing is, none of our connections to the Internet are all that good to download a video.

Some of my interactions with the hotel staff is comical. I got room service one day and had the most difficult time getting them to come and pick up the tray. (I suppose I should have just set it outside my room, but wasn’t sure if that is something that is customary here.) After quite a bit of discussion, I had the feeling she wasn’t understanding me, even tho she said she understood me. Then my phone rang and it was the guy who delivered my dinner. He wondered why I was complaining that I didn’t get my order. When I told him I just wanted someone to pick up the tray, he laughed and said he’d be right there to pick it up. Everyone is so very nice.

See ya later. Love to all!
Mum/Shawn

No comments: